Wednesday, June 18, 2008

HERE I AM AGAIN

Aaahhhhh......the first day of summer vacation! Do you remember that feeling as a kid? All is right with the world and there is nothing to get in your way. I always look forward to my kids being home for the summer. It bothers me when I hear parents say to their kids, "I don't know what I'm going to do with you all summer!" Sadly, with the violence in the schools these days, I'm just thrilled that my kids have made it through another school year. Not to say that they're safer outside of school, but I'm sure you know what I mean.

I'm off for the summer, too. I've been waiting for this since last July! I stepped down from the Directorship at my school and will be teaching only next school year. Now I get to be home during the summers once again. I am so glad! There are so many things that I want to do (and there is nothing to get in my way! Really?). I'm feeling just like my kids do today.....free at last!

One of the many things I want to do is to post more frequently here and to sharpen my writing skills. I don't know if anyone will even be reading this, but I need to express myself somewhere. I would also like to develop into a more insightful writer.

Other things......My husband and I relocated our vegetable garden this year so that we could have a larger area to plant in. We've enjoyed working in the garden together and look forward to our harvest! I have many, many books I want to read this summer. I have a nasty habit of starting a new book before I finish what I'm currently reading. I'm probably in the middle of at least 10 books right now! I also plan to continue doing a Beth Moore Bible study of Daniel. Then I want to look into joining or starting a Moms-in-Touch group here. Wait.....there's more! I'm working on cleaning and organizing our house; we have two vacations planned (both in July); the kids and I want to spend time at the local pool; I want to cook and bake more; oh, and I had better work on my lesson plans for next school year! If I'm not careful, I'm going to end up returning to work feeling exhausted!

I know I can plan all I want, but God is the only one who's plan will be fulfilled. I'll have to do only what he allows me to do and be content with that. This lesson was brought forth to us last night. My oldest son and his friends were skateboarding behind our house when one of the boys fell and broke his wrist. Today the friend was lamenting that his "full life" has been interrupted. For him there will be no summer camp, no skateboarding, and no swimming (until his cast comes off). He'll just have to be content with what he can do this summer. Hard for a 13 year old boy!!

So I have to remember that if at the end of this summer I look back with regret and disappointment at how few of my goals (dreams, wishes) I actually accomplished, it's okay. Everything is as it should be because I'm not the one in charge. God is, and I have to be content and satisfied with the path he lays before me. I am free......free in Christ......free from the bondage of sin and free of Satan. It is possible to live a life of freedom, yet not have total control of your life. "'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the Lord,..." (Jeremiah 29:11)

No comments: