Wednesday, June 17, 2009

I Get To

On Saturday afternoon, I drove my older son to his friend's house so that they could skateboard together. On the way over, I warned him to keep an eye out for rain because the sky was looking rather ominous. As soon as I dropped Sam off, he and his friend took off on their boards. I figured they were just going to skate around the neighborhood.

About an hour later, Sam calls me to say that he and Z are at a store near Z's house and that they have t-shirts on sale. Sam wanted to know if I would take him back there on Sunday since he didn't have any money on him. I told him yes and hung up.

On their way back to Z's house, the clouds burst open and it poured! The phone rings again. "Mom, we're at Dairy Queen and I'm soaked. Can you come pick me up, take me home to change, and then take me back to Z's?" I was in the middle of something, and I think I muttered "Crap." Then I gave a big sigh and said I'd be there in a minute.

As I was driving in the downpour, I was agitated over the fact that I had to do this. Then I stopped myself and thought, "No. I get to do this." I thought about my miscarriage and about the couples who so desperately want to have children and can't. How selfish of me to be angry over a blessing that God has given to me! As annoying as it can be sometimes to play chauffeur for my children, it is actually a blessing!

I picked Sam up, took him home to change clothes and then drove him right back to Z's house. He was planning to spend the night there. Our younger son was going to a birthday party sleepover, so the hubs and I were going to have a date night!

We had just ordered some Chinese for dinner when Sam called us again. Guess what? Now I get to joyfully wait on Sam as his broken foot heals! Gotta love our little blessings!

7 comments:

Deb said...

A year or so ago, there was an evangelist who was preaching at our church who was dying of heart problems. He doesn't know when God will call him Home, just that it is going to happen sooner than later. He preached on that very same thing....saying I GET to instead of I've GOT to. It has stuck with me and God has brought it to mind many times since then.
As for Sam....what a way to spend your summer!!!! :o(
Blessings!
Deb

Kelly said...

You have a great attitude. How many of us are stuck in the "Crap" attitude without realizing that it really is a blessing.

Good for you! Hope his foot heals quickly.

Andrea said...

Isn't it amazing how GOD has to remind us of our blessings, sometimes! We easily forget in the business of each day. I pray you and I both will always remember and be ever thankful of those very special gifts GOD had loaned us for a season to mold, love, and cherish.
I am sorry Samm broke his foot. My middle son was a skateboarder...I call it an accident waiting on a place to happen! As an adult, he still enjoys riding his skateboard.
Blessings and prayers, andrea

Sue J. said...

There's a lot going on in that post, my friend. Whew! Hope Sam is getting used to things, and you are, too. I think we all seek some kind of longer period of "rest," hoping our kids will be responsible enough that they won't need us every time we turn to something we want to do. Doesn't always work out that way, though.

That's when I'm reminded of what my top three callings are: God, husband and children. Everything else after that has to come later--even if I'd rather change up the order. So, as part of receiving the blessing, we learn to live with the sometimes challenge of loving the blessing.

Nice post!

Sheryl said...

love the fact that you realize that you "get" to do those things. how i have missed getting to do some of the ordinary things that used to bug the "crap" out of me!!

sure hope his foot heals quickly and completely.

Heart2Heart said...

Leslie,

What a beautiful and interesting perspective on how to look at things. In one way, you have bitterness, resentfulness, and a feeling of having a bad day. The other way turnings things completely around, like night and day.

I would rather face the sunshine and bright blue skies than the dark ominious clouds anyday. I just need to change my outlook and then my attitude.

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

Tidbits of Torah said...

What a wonderful.....truly wonderful article. Children are a heritage from G-d. What a blessing indeed. We were given these precious neshamos/souls to train them in the way of the Lord.