Saturday, April 10, 2010

Please Pray

As I was sitting here, home alone, I heard a lot of sirens going off. I always say a prayer for whomever the sirens are for when I hear them. They sounded close but not like they were on my street.

I just went outside to get in my car to go to Cooper's first baseball game of the season, and I saw that my block and the next block up from me are closed off. There are police cars and fire trucks everywhere. People are milling around watching. I saw my neighbor and asked her what was going on.

Apparently, someone was shot in a family dispute in the next block. The victim was able to crawl out of his house, but the gunman and supposedly two other people are still inside. This block of homes consists of all old row homes. The gunman is threatening to burn the house down. These row homes don't have firewalls between them. So everyone in that block has been evacuated.

I can't believe the police are letting people stand outside and watch. I came back inside just to be safe. I had to call Eric to tell him I can't get to Coop's game (Coop is at the field already with Eric) and call Sam who is at the mall with a friend and his family. I could walk to Cooper's game, but I want to be here when Sam gets back.

Please pray!

UPDATE
Everything seems to be over with, but I don't really know what happened. I haven't been able to find much news coverage. HA....I wrote that sentence and the NBC news van just drove by!! I guess I'll tune in at 11 PM.

I went out to my porch as one of the fire trucks was leaving (I thought) and was told to go back in my house. At that point, I noticed the police telling everyone to go inside. Our two blocks proceeded to be closed off for about the next 4 hours. Eric & Coop were able to sneak in the back way, but Sam was stuck at a friend's house for a while.

I heard different things from different neighbors, such as the guy escaped; there were drugs involved; and there were chemicals in the house, possibly a meth lab. Like I said, I have no idea what went on. All I know is that my neighbors and I were pretty much held hostage in our homes all afternoon, while the immediate neighbors of this family were ousted from their homes! Thank you for your prayers!

4 comments:

Andrea said...

OH MY!! Praying!
andrea

Heart2Heart said...

Its so sad that people think that have no options left to deal with whatever life hands them. Let us pray that this person will not only find the help they so desperately need but also finds God in the process.

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

Susan J. Reinhardt said...

Hi Leslie -

I saw this on the 6:00 P.M. news and wondered if you were affected. The news people were not sure what was happening.

I guess a SWAT team went inside the house, but came out alone. Someone said two brothers had a dispute, and the one put a gun to the other's head, forcing him to take drugs. That's all I know.

Praying for everyone's safety.

Blessings,
Susan

Amy's Blah, Blah, Blogging said...

Wow, that all sound horrible. :( Hope it all worked out and everyone is ok.

I just stopped over from the blog party, I hope you are able to get in a little more of a party mood tomorrow.

Hope you have a great time at the party this week and meet lots of great bloggers and friends! Stop by and say hi when you get the chance.