Wednesday, July 1, 2009

This and That

Hi there my bloggy friends! Big news...I've just entered the 21st century by signing up for Facebook. I had resisted it for a very long time because I'm kind of eccentric that way, AND I didn't want to end up with a stalker! (Because, as I told one of my friends, I'm just so gorgeous and interesting!) I also haven't been all that sure that I want some people from my past to find me.

About two weeks ago, I got up the nerve to register on Classmates.com. It has been 26 years since I graduated from high school, and I've just been curious about some of my old pals that I had lost touch with. One of them contacted me and asked if I was on Facebook. I told her no, and she said it was too bad because it's a good way to keep up with our old friends. Then my niece had her second baby girl on Monday (welcome Megan Shea!), and my one sister emailed both my oldest sis and I to say that we should get on FB to keep in touch better. Now, I really wanted to see baby pics of Megan, so I decided to join FB and asked my niece and her hubby to be my friends so I could view any photos they've been posting. I finally saw some today! She's a cute little peanut...6 lbs., 10 ounces.

So I've been spending time this week learning the ins and outs of Facebook. One thing I've learned is that it can be quite addicting. I have to force myself not to be on it too much. If I haven't been around to visit your blog this week, FB is to blame!

I've been reading a couple of books this week as well. I'm almost done with The Life You Can Save: Acting Now to End World Poverty by Peter Singer. It's rather a complicated read, but I am getting something out of it. I so want to sponsor more children through Compassion International, but just don't have the money to do it right now. Due to the economy, the monthly donation is going up from $32 to $38 in September. I've thought about asking a friend or two if they'd like to sponsor a child with me, but I know everyone is suffering financially right now.

I also picked up this little book entitled The Simple Life: Devotional Thoughts from Amish Country by Wanda E. Brunstetter. It's a very relaxing read with thought provoking Bible based lessons and Amish recipes! While I was at the pool today, I started reading one of her fiction books, A Sister's Secret. I thought it touching that she dedicated this book to the Amish children who were killed in the schoolhouse shooting in Lancaster almost 3 years ago. "And to the victims' families, who showed the world what God's love and true forgiveness are all about."

This incident occurred the first year I was the Director at my preschool. We're only about 90 minutes from Lancaster. This really shook me up. Up until that time, our classroom doors remained closed but unlocked. I immediately told our teachers that from then on our classroom doors would be kept locked from the outside, and I sent a memo out to the parents to inform them of this. I think it was a relief to the parents.


If you haven't already, please stop by my other blog, Angel Baby, and read my post about Group B Strep. I want every pregnant mom to be aware of this infection! It's something I had when I was pregnant with my younger son. I still need to go on and post about this week's lesson from the pregnancy loss Bible study I have been doing.


May God bless each of you and help you to strive toward His goals for your life!

3 comments:

Wendy said...

I'm also on FB. I just keep it open in a tab to check a couple of times throughout the day. It sure does make staying in touch easier!!
You have my email, right? So you can look me up on there.

I just wanted to thank you again for the book.

Sponsoring-- maybe each Sunday School class could sponsor a child? It wouldn't hurt each family financially, and every little bit helps!!

Heart2Heart said...

Leslie,

What a wonderful idea for joint sponsoring. That is definitely a way to work around a situation that pulls on your heart but can't afford.

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

Jeanette Levellie said...

Leslie: Perhaps it was a divine appointment that I popped onto your blog tonight; I am wanting to do Facebook but my hus. is a little reluctant, since I'm already swamped. So...

I'm having a contest to try and convince him, with some great prizes from the Write to Publish conference last month.

I'd be so honored if you come over and comment; the contest is up through Friday afternoon, July 3.
Happy Weekend,
Jeanette Levellie
Audience of ONE