Tuesday, August 4, 2009

"I Get To" Tuesdays

The thought behind this is to list a few things that could come under the category of "Ugh...I have to (you fill in the blank)". However, I want you to look at these "have to's" as blessings of "I get to". We all take for granted such things as our health, jobs, family, friends, etc. and sometimes don't appreciate them or see them as blessings as we should. So here are a few things for me this week.

I have to admit, I'm really tired and don't feel much like posting or doing anything else for that matter. However, I know I need to do this in order to find the blessings in the things I'm finding discouraging at the moment. So here I go!
  1. I got to take my oldest son to the orthodontist yesterday. I knew the ortho wasn't going to be happy because Sam hasn't been wearing his retainer consistently. The main reason he got braces was because he had an upper tooth that had grown in too high and needed to be pulled down. (He inherited this from me! Same reason I had braces.) His top teeth are fine, but his bottom teeth are crooked again. The ortho asked me what I wanted to do (make a new retainer, put braces back on the bottom teeth, or nothing). I opted for nothing! I'm hoping that some time down the line my son will learn a lesson from this. I told Sam that we'll take care of his normal dental needs and his wisdom teeth, but if he wants straight bottom teeth, he can pay for it when he's an adult. This may seem harsh to some of you, but we see it as a monetary lesson and a lesson in responsibility for him.
  2. I get to host our church book club at my house this month AND I get to read a difficult book. I am not very good at hospitality. This is something I know God has been working on in me. We're reading The Gospel of Thomas. The book is difficult in that it has big words that seem rather scholarly. The last book we read was by Jodi Picoult, and in it one of the main characters kept quoting this gospel. We all had a lot of questions about it, so we decided to read it to see exactly what it is.
  3. I get to start writing up my lesson plans for this school year. My September plans are due on 8/21. This makes me sad because it means my summer is coming to a close. However, I should be thankful I have a job to go back to!
  4. My #3 here leads into my next "I Get To". I get to roll the coins from our big coin jar. So far, I've rolled $20. I'm looking for extra cash because I've got a birthday party to plan for Cooper and school supplies and some clothing to buy for the boys. My sons have even sold some of their old video games to make some extra money. (They made $63 each!) This makes me thankful that I'm going back to work soon so that I can start getting a pay check again! Also, my sons are learning a little finance lesson through this.
  5. Today I get to start helping my hubby by sending out postcards advertising his business. This will be mindless and boring, but at least I get to help him out. AND, so far, he still has a business. The health care reform could put him out of business.

That's my "I Get To" list for this week. This was hard for me today, but it's a way to remind me of my blessings in disguise. If you decide to post your own "I Get To" list on your blog, please let me know, and I will post a link to your blog here.

Remember, try to find the blessings in your "I Have To's" and turn them into "I Get To's"!

9 comments:

Collette@Jesuslovesmums said...

Leslie dear friend!
It is so hard to post when you don't feel up to it, but good for you digging deep to find these blessings!

I am so with you on hospitality! I am hopeless at it but have been making myself have folk over, one or two at a time or a small family is fine but large numbers and I am a wreck!
Hope you have a good day!
Love Collette xxxx

Kelly said...

Well, since you didn't feel like posted a blog post, you GOT TO POST A BLOG POST too! LOL!

I'm not good at hospitality either, so I feel your pain on that one. But I always have fun at the event, and know you will too.

See you in 2 days!

Andrea said...

I got to clean carpets and I am not done yet. I am trying to praise and clean!

Sheryl said...

you know how much i love the whole idea behind these posts. ever since so many of the things were taken away from - i am THRILLED when i "get to".

being grateful is contagious. thanks.

Beth Herring said...

Leslie - I always love your get to tuesdays. It is such a refreshing reminder to count our blessings daily!

Heart2Heart said...

Leslie,

I completely understand the whole thing about letting your son pay for his dental work. My nephew just finished with all his braces and is supposed to be doing the very same thing but lost his. Due to the fact, he wasn't wearing it.

His dad is of the very same mentality and I agree. Our kids today aren't learning a thing, if we constantly keep trying to handle their lives for them.

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

Tracy said...

I got to~ lol~ take my oldest son for his driver's permit this week.

YAY~he passed.

It is such a strange feeling putting your life in the hands of your child~

Sue J. said...

Hospitality gets such a big build-up sometimes. It's really about just opening up your house--kind of like you did through this blog a few weeks ago--and your heart. A place to sit and some good conversation, an item of food and drink--you're all set.

You could always put up a post-it that says "Leave expectations at the door." (And that's more for you than for your guests!) Most of the time, I'm a bit distracted by details (Martha), but that helps me to calm down. Find out what works for you and go for it.

Have a great time at the writer's conference! You get to do that, too!!

Andrea said...

You have been tagged at Arise 2 Write.