Tuesday, August 25, 2009

"I Get To" Tuesdays

The thought behind this is to list a few things that could come under the category of "Ugh...I have to (you fill in the blank)". However, I want you to look at these "have to's" as blessings of "I get to". We all take for granted such things as our health, jobs, family, friends, etc. and sometimes don't appreciate them or see them as blessings as we should. So here are a few things for me this week.

I'm a little late with this today my bloggy friends! The countdown to school starting has me running around! I'm sure many of you can relate!
  1. I got to host Cooper's birthday party here at our house on Sunday. This was not what we had planned! I just didn't want to do the party at our house again this year. Our home is small and the bigger these boys get, the more crowded it feels. (Not to mention the horsing around that goes on which leads to that boy "smell". Then there is the burping and other unmentionable noises and smells!) I decided to rent this small theater where the boys could play X-Box on the big screen. We all arrived at the theater on Sunday afternoon to find that they were having technical difficulties with their system. After about 15 minutes, they told us their X-Box had died. I had 7 sad boys on my hands! On to Plan B. Everybody came back to our house for pizza and the big birthday cookie I had made for Cooper. The people at the theater were really nice. They gave all the kids free popcorn, and we are rescheduling the X-Box party for half price! So the kids will get to play, and we get a price break! Even though we ended up with everyone at our house, it was only for a short period of time and the kids got to hang out together and still have fun.
  2. Yesterday, I got to go shopping for school supplies. Now, I've never really had to do much of this before because our school district has always provided most of the supplies in the past. I usually had to purchase backpacks, paper, pencils/pens, highlighters and a notebook for each of my kids. This year, however, budget cuts have hit! They raised our taxes and took away some things. I spent $242 yesterday on school supplies! This does not include any new clothing or backpacks for my kids! And I know I'm not done yet. The high school only gave us a general list, so I'll have to go out again next week when Sam gets specific lists from his teachers. I did have to buy him a $120 calculator! Somebody please tell me the blessing in all of this!
  3. On Thursday the boys and I get to drive up to my parents' and spend the night. I'm not much for driving long distances, especially without another adult along. But I know this is important to do. My parents are both 81, and we need to try to see them as often as we can. Plus, my niece will be visiting as well, so we'll get to see her new baby girl!
  4. This is a silly one! While I was out buying school supplies, I spied one of those chains that you can attach your eye glasses to and wear around your neck. Since turning 40 four years ago, I haven't been able to read any small print and had to buy some reading glasses. Well, I'm tired of always trying to remember where I last put them down, so I bought one of these chains (it's decorative at least). My husband and kids just shook their heads and told me I'm old!
  5. As I said last week, I got to host our church book club at our house on Saturday night. (It went very well!) I also mentioned that I had to clean up the house and that one of my least favorite chores is dusting. I usually use rags to dust with because I hate the idea of using disposable things to dust with. Well, I broke down and bought one of those Swiffer Dusters. LOVE IT!! It may not make me love the job any more, but at least it won't feel like such a daunting task to me!

That's my "I Get To" list for this week. If you decide to post your own "I Get To" list on your blog, please let me know, and I will post a link to your blog here.

Remember, try to find the blessings in your "I Have To's" and turn them into "I Get To's"!

4 comments:

Heart2Heart said...

Leslie,

I always wanted to know if those Swiffer dusters really worked or not. I love my Swiffer for my floor. Now I want the one with the vacuum and mop attached.

Safe prayer accompany you on your trip to your parents.

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

Beth Herring said...

I love a good swiffer also. Makes the task a little more pleasant.

I have had to buy those expensive calculators also and then they go to college and they have to get an even more expensive one!

Andrea said...

Verdict: NO hair extensions..I won that battle. THANK GOD!! I am exhausted. I am thankful to have wonderful friends helping me. I would not be able to do it without them and also without all the prayer support.
andrea

Sue J. said...

I guess you'll have one smart math and science kid in high school! Wow.... Yeah, the school supply thing is a plus/minus. The shopping trip gets the kids excited...but it's a challenge, sometimes, to keep the bill low. I've overheard the folks in the aisles on the cels giving price quotes of items (probably to some friend at another store doing the same thing!) What a game....

Hope you're getting excited for school and have renewed energy for your new kids! Glad your venture into hospitality was a success--ready for the next one!