Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Godlessness in the Last Days

But mark this: There will be terrible times in the last days. People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good, treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God -- having a form of godliness but denying its power. Have nothing to do with them. 2 Timothy 3: 1-5

No, I am not suggesting that we are in the last days even though all of the above seems to have come about. God's timing is only known by Him. What caught my eye was the last part of this --having a form of godliness but denying its power. I see this in myself and am sure others see it in themselves.

What I believe this scripture is saying is that many people are Christians (or proclaim themselves as Christians), but they don't fully live their lives as a Christian should. I'm not pointing the finger here because I'm just as guilty!

One of my biggest downfalls as a follower of Jesus is my lack of time spent in the Word. I have done many Bible studies through MOPS, church, and work, but my own daily time spent reading the Bible is pitiful! I try to walk the walk and talk the talk, but how can I if I'm not studying His Word?! I can't be godly if I don't spend time getting to know Him!

I am about to begin my fifth year as a teacher at a Christian preschool, and it will be my second year serving as its Director. Needless to say, this work and my family keep me very busy. My prayers are said on the run, and my Bible time is next to nil. I've been lying to myself by thinking, "Oh, but I'm doing God's work. I'm running a ministry for His glory." Thus far, the Lord has blessed me in this ministry, but I keep thinking, "How many blessings have I missed because I'm not consistently spending time with Him?" I'm denying God's power in my life by not following Him completely. This saddens me greatly.

I challenge myself and all of you to choose to have more than "a form of godliness". Take a good look at what is missing from your Christian walk, pray about it and then act upon it according to God's will. If we do this, I'm sure we will begin to experience even more of God's power in our lives. Amen!

No comments: