Tuesday, October 20, 2009

"I Get To" Tuesdays

The thought behind this is to list a few things that could come under the category of "Ugh...I have to (you fill in the blank)". However, I want you to look at these "have to's" as blessings of "I get to". We all take for granted such things as our health, jobs, family, friends, etc. and sometimes don't appreciate them or see them as blessings as we should. So here are a few things for me this week.

I don't even know where to begin with this post today! I'm not even going to number my "I Get To's" this time around.

On Saturday and Sunday I got to spend my time writing up student profiles for my 3-year-old class. We'll be having parent/teacher conferences next week. Doing these profiles and meeting with the parents really does help me get to know my students better.

Let's see....at 4 AM Monday morning my hubby got up to use the restroom. When he came back to bed, I could hear water running. At first I thought it was raining. Then I thought Eric forgot to turn off the faucet after washing his hands. I nudged him and told him to go check the water faucet. He got up with a moan and discovered that our toilet was overflowing once AGAIN! He began grabbing towels and cleaning up the mess. Being the great wife that I am, I stayed in bed because I had to be up in two hours, and it was applesauce day at school. (I'll get to that in a moment.)

Eric went downstairs to get more towels only to discover water coming through our dining room ceiling again...this time through our light fixture! He moved our furniture and put bowls around the room and then went back up to the bathroom to finish sopping up the water. Thankfully, Eric was back from his fishing trip and able to take care of all of this for me!

At 6 AM my alarm went off. I went downstairs to the laundry room to get some clean towels and a clean bath mat. I immediately saw something in the middle of our living room floor. A gift from Otto. I had no idea what it was or which end it came out of! I proceeded to get my towels, headed back upstairs and told Eric that if he could figure out what Otto left for us, then more power to him! Thankfully, Eric cleaned it up for me so that I could get my shower. (We still don't know what it was!) At least Otto has seemed just fine!

By 6:30 Sam was up and having diarrhea. He ended up staying home from school. Again, at least Eric was home all day yesterday.

As I mentioned earlier, my 4-year-old class was scheduled to make applesauce yesterday. It was a crazy morning, but we got it done! I was very grateful to have 3 moms helping us. One of the moms told me that she doesn't know how we do it everyday with the kids. She said she guessed she didn't like kids enough to be a teacher. I chuckled at this a bit because she is pregnant with baby # 3! (And her first two are very sweet!)

After class, my assistant and I got to clean up the applesauce mess. We ended up leaving later than usual. At least this event is over for this school year, and the kids enjoyed the whole process of making the applesauce! And our classroom smelled wonderful!

Then I got to go home and clean up all of the messes from the middle of the night! I washed two loads of towels; washed the bathroom floor; scrubbed the spot where Otto had left his "gift"; vacuumed; unloaded the dishwasher; reloaded it and hand washed all the bowls Eric had used to collect the water dripping from our ceiling. My house looks a little better now.

Oh, I am so looking forward to the rest of my "I Get To's" this week! If you decide to post your own "I Get To" list on your blog, use Mr. Linky below.

Remember, try to find the blessings in your "I Have To's" and turn them into "I Get To's"!



4 comments:

Beth Herring said...

I found myself just cringing as I was reading your post! Sounds like an awful day, but I can't believe your husband didn't make you get up!! Mine would have been hollering "BETH - GET IN HERE!!!" Ha!

THe applesauce sounds wonderful!

Sue J. said...

Wow, Leslie! It's just a tad bit overwhelming there, isn't it.... I'm so sorry this is all happening.

Praise God for applesauce. Maybe you need to bring some home, too!

Hang in there, girl!!

Andrea said...

No wonder I have had you on my mind. I sure hope next week you have to search long and hard to find an "I get to list" you have several weeks worth this week.

Blessings, hugs, prayers, and love, andrea

PS: Sounds like you and I need a coffee break together....maybe we need a road trip and meet in the middle somewhere!

Heart2Heart said...

Leslie,

Here is hoping that you can get the bathroom issue resolved. I was praying for you at the beginning all the way through the end of your post! Here is hoping for brighter days and more filled with applesauce.

Love and Hugs ~ Kat