Tuesday, November 24, 2009

"I Get To" Tuesdays

The thought behind this is to list a few things that could come under the category of "Ugh...I have to (you fill in the blank)". However, I want you to look at these "have to's" as blessings of "I get to". We all take for granted such things as our health, jobs, family, friends, etc. and sometimes don't appreciate them or see them as blessings as we should. So here are a few things for me this week.

Yesterday, I got to lead my 4-year-old class in their Thanksgiving program. They sang several songs for their parents and then everyone ate the pumpkin bread and applesauce which the kids made in class. Now this particular class is very difficult. I have several kids with special needs plus quite a few that do not behave very well. So it was a challenging morning for me, but the parents enjoyed it just the same.

Even though this class is the hardest one I've ever had to teach, there are still enjoyable moments. Yesterday, one of my special needs students raised his hand, and when I called on him, he said, "Teacher, I like your hair. It looks very handsome." This cracked me up! I had a little boy in my other class tell me that he hides his trash at home. I asked him where he hid it, and he replied, "Behind the couch!" At least he was truthful! When I laughingly told his mom what he had told me, she already knew about it!

Today I have a busy day ahead of me. I've got to teach my morning class, lead my Moms in Touch group, and then go back to work to prepare for Wednesday's class because....I'm taking that day off! Which means I also have to pack for our trip. Despite my hectic day, I am glad to be having our Moms in Touch meeting because we've had a hard time getting together with all the illnesses floating around.

On Wednesday we'll be leaving for the Outer Banks! We'll have a nice long ride ahead of us, but at least we'll be at the beach for Thanksgiving!

On Monday I get to go to work for an in-service day. My kids have the day off from school, but I can't stay home with them. I'll be decorating my classroom for Christmas. It's a lot of work, but it's worth seeing the look on my students' faces when they come back to school!

If you decide to post your own "I Get To" list on your blog, use Mr. Linky below. Remember, try to find the blessings in your "I Have To's" and turn them into "I Get To's"!


3 comments:

Sue J. said...

Happy Thanksgiving at the beach! Give a wave to your bloggy friends as you pass through central VA!!

Beth Herring said...

Have a great week at the beach!

Andrea said...

I pray you guys will have a safe and very happy vacation in the outer banks. I wish I were there, too. Enjoy and take lots of pictures.
Blessings and hugs, andrea