Thursday, December 17, 2009

Heart for Africa

Last night I finished reading the book It's Not Okay With Me by Janine Maxwell. It took me 3 nights to read. (Not a long book, I'm just a slow reader.) I LOVED IT!!

Janine Maxwell came to a crossroads in her life when she was stuck in New York City on 9/11. She felt that there was something more that God wanted her to do with her life. She ended up selling her successful marketing company in Canada, and eventually, she and her husband were put in charge of Dream for Africa. This was an organization begun by Dr. Bruce Wilkinson (author of Prayer of Jabez). Janine and her husband changed the organization's name to Heart for Africa.

In the book, Janine mentions (I believe several times) the Bible verse James 1:27. Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world. I have often read this verse since my miscarriage last year. I keep thinking to myself, "Okay God, if I can't have that baby in my arms, let me have my arms around those little ones who need a mother or just need someone to step in and help them." This is what Janine and her family seem to be doing. I'm praying to find a way to contribute to Hope for Africa.

I just had to share this with you because I loved Janine's book and found this video very moving. I pray that this clip tugs at your heart too.

3 comments:

Heart2Heart said...

Leslie,

I too believe we all have a special calling in this life to serve Jesus Christ in spreading the message. I love how God is using this amazing ministry to reach out to the hurting in Africa.

I will keep you in my prayers and ask for God's divine guidance in knowing how you can help.

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

Sue J. said...

I hope you have a lovely program tonight (and that the weather won't keep folks away). God has a wonderful way of using our nerves to make us rely more on Him, and as you present your offering with love, you will find blessing, too!

I told my bell choir that even if they messed up this one part of a song there were working on (and not playing well) that it wasn't important to be perfect. It was way more important to be perfected by God than it was to be perfect in trying to play something for Him.

Enjoy all the moments and seek Him through them!

Angela Joseph said...

Yes, it does. I have been fortunate in not ever having lost a baby. I think you are a strong woman and I pray that God will bless you and use you to help hurting children and mothers.