Saturday, April 4, 2009

First a Funny and Then Some Musings Based on Beth Moore

Here's a preschool funny (actually, I can't believe the mom shared this with us!). One of our students brought in his dog for show and tell yesterday. She was the cutest, sweetest thing. Apparently, when this little boy was about a year old, the dog had puppies. His mom went away for a weekend and left him home with his dad and siblings. At some point during the weekend, he decided that since Mom wasn't home, he'd nurse from the dog! What's even more amazing is that the dog let him do it!

Okay, on to Romans 18:8. I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us.

Well, yesterday I had intended to share some insights I gained while at Bible study. I think I've mentioned previously that our staff is doing Beth Moore's study on Daniel. We're currently in chapter 11.

In the video, Beth began talking about how our calling will cost us something. (Bear with me as I was taking notes on a gum wrapper and then on a paper towel....don't ask!) She went on to say how we are to be living sacrifices and that we may have to sacrifice what we want in order to get what God wants to give us. We live in a Babylonian society and want immediate gratification and tend to be selfish. It comes down to selfishness versus sacrifice. We're takers and not givers. We'll miss our purpose in life if we don't make sacrifices. Basically, you'll find yourself when you lose yourself. ...he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me and for the gospel will save it. Mark 8:34, 35.

Beth went on to say that we need to be patient and grow in God slowly or we won't grow at all (no immediate gratification). If we move too quickly, our spiritual gifts won't be given the chance to grow.

All of this made me think about how I've been trying to figure out what I'm supposed to have learned from my miscarriage. I have the feeling that I'm supposed to do something regarding children, but I don't know what and have been begging God for his wisdom and discernment in this area. Perhaps I'm being too impatient. I'm now thinking that God is telling me to GET IN HIS WORD and my calling will be revealed to me.........in HIS timing, not mine.

Now getting into His word on a more consistent basis and really studying it will cost me something........mainly my time. I'll have to sacrifice a few things, such as watching TV, sleeping in, having my house look the way I want it to. I also think God is telling me to reach out to people more. That will mean sacrificing my comfort zone, my alone time and my introvertedness. (Is that even a word? I really dislike talking on the phone! I'm also a homebody who does not like to entertain.)

If I choose not to suffer or make sacrifices now, I'll never know God's full intention or glory for me. I'll have wasted my brief time here on earth, and boy, would that make Satan happy!

Take up your cross ladies and follow Him!

1 comment:

Tracy said...

Oh wow! That's gross!~wonder if it tasted like cow milk (ok-that's even more gross!)
That's one thing I suppose I will never know ;o}
Have a great Sunday!