Thursday, July 30, 2009

A Salute to Mr. Mom!


Chatty Kelly's Thankful Thursday list got me to thinking about all those Mr. Moms out there. These dads have no problem taking over the reins while mom is away or feeling under the weather.

When my kids were really young, we had a neighbor with two young boys. Her husband would travel for work or go off and play golf while she stayed home with the kids. (We can't begrudge him for the working part.) I remember that she wanted to go away over night once, and he wouldn't let her because he didn't want to have to care for their kids alone for that long. At that moment I was so thankful for my own husband.

Eric has always been completely capable to function alone with our kids. He changed diapers, made formula, and bathed them when they were little. I know they won't ever starve while I'm gone because he's a much better cook than I am! (He has been known to make a meal and freeze it for us when he was the one who was going to be away from home!) Several times Eric has helped the boys work on a project like cleaning a closet while I've been away. He will encourage me to go do things, which can be a task because I am a home body by nature.

As most of you know, next week I'll be attending the Greater Philly Christian Writers Conference for 3 days. When I told our older son, his reaction was, "Woo hoo! Man party!" I quickly burst his bubble when I told him I would be commuting back and forth and, therefore, would be home at night!

However, if I was going to be away for 3 days and 2 nights, I would have no qualms about it. My hubs is an excellent Mr. Mom!! Thank you Lord for giving me such a wonderful husband. Please bless him and all of the other wonderful Mr. Moms out there!

6 comments:

Collette@Jesuslovesmums said...

He sounds absolutely wonderful!
I did the button by following a great tutorial you can find here

http://loopsdesigns.blogspot.com/2009/01/tutorial-html-button-with-code-box-for.html

just copy and paste the above link and it is so simple even I could do it! The hardest part was designing the button!

Heart2Heart said...

Woo Hoo! Congratulations Leslie on being able to attend your conference you were so looking forward to attending.

I agree with you as well, our hubbies that take up the role of Mr. Mom should be rewarded, applauded and even recognized for what they contribute. A helping hand and a much needed break for us Moms!

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

Beth Herring said...

What a great tribute your sweet fella!

Jeanette Levellie said...

Wow, Leslie, you ARE a blessed woman!
I have a great honey, too. He wasn't too excited about diapers, but he did cooking, dishes, grocery shopping, etc. a lot when my kids were little.
He still does all the shopping and some of the cooking, folds laundry and helps with dishes. I am so grateful for this gift from the Lord.
Way to go, men!

nancygrayce said...

My husband is the same way! He even had surgery once and got up and fixed us lunch...I'm so ashamed!.....but anyhow, he wanted to, so who was I to stop him! :) My husband was mr. mom for 2 years before we married. He had his boys and working a busy job, still managed to cook breakfast, cook supper and keep the house and laundry up! I call him my superhero!

Mocha Momma said...

Sorry about Otto. What a shame that he was neglected. I hope the kennel manager finds out what was up there and quickly fixes the problem.

Your husband is a blessing. My husband does a lot for us too. I am blessed and spoiled.

He takes care of our kids all the time when I need to get out for a while or a weekend. We're so blessed.

It's been a while since I've been by, sorry about that.

Have a great rest of the summer,
Nannette from Life: be-in-it