Friday, April 10, 2009

Did Mary Cry?

Last night we watched The Passion of the Christ as a family. It has been so long since I first saw it that I forgot it was subtitled. I was afraid that would be a turn off to our boys, but they watched the entire movie.

My oldest son commented several times that he thought Mary should have been crying a lot more than she did in the movie as she watched her son being beaten and put to death. Sam thought the one or two trickles of tears here and there from Mary was unrealistic. I explained to him that first of all, this was Mel Gibson's interpretation of Christ's death, and second of all, Mary knew that Jesus was God's son and that God had a purpose for Him and for all that took place. She may not have liked it, but she probably accepted it.

I quickly looked through the books of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John this morning to see what was said about Mary in regard to Jesus' death. She obviously was there to witness it. Only in Luke 23:27 does it say "A large number of people followed him, including women who mourned and wailed for him." Did Mary wail for her son? I don't know the answer to this. I think most mothers would assume that she did. I know I would have if it were my child. I can't bear the thought of my sons being treated the way Jesus was.

I don't really know where I'm going with this. I just thought it was interesting that this was on the mind of my son. It makes me think of Mary on this Good Friday. Not only am I mourning for the suffering of my Lord and Savior, but I am mourning for Mary, from one mother to another. I just praise God that this all has a happy ending and that someday we will be with Jesus. I pray that we can all take comfort in this.

4 comments:

Jesica said...

I bet Jesus' Father wept.

Leslie said...

Amen to that!

Kelly said...

I liked the part when Jesus fell and Mary flash backed to him falling as a child. I cried & cried, that brought it home to me. Your child. You never get over being a mama, even when they are grown. Oh yes, she cried.

Sue J. said...

That song "Mary Did You Know?" can also be applied here. She was a complex woman, and we don't know as much about her as we'd like. Did God intend for us mothers to read into her character, into her responses? As you're suggesting, it's kind of hard not to.

How can we not respond like Mary--in wonder; in confusion; in joy; in sadness; in awe....?