Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Give Me More Stripes

On Monday, my kids had the day off from school. I don't know why...our school district has weird in-service days built into their schedule. Anyway, my husband had to travel at least an hour away for a meeting, so he dropped the boys off at my school around 10:30 that morning. The boys hung out with my class and were a big help when one of my students suddenly had a bloody nose just as we were sitting down for snack time.

I was done by noon and took my sons out to lunch. We went to TGI Fridays because I had a coupon for $8 off. That paid for Cooper's lunch! I know I've blogged about this once before, but if you go here, you can sign up to get a Friday's Give Me More Stripes card. Whenever you eat there, you present your card and earn points (stripes) for that visit. Once you reach 100 points you will receive a coupon via email.

The boys and I had a lot of fun together. They were actually getting along (rather than the usual "I love my brother" followed by a punch)! There was an '80's soundtrack playing in the restaurant, so the two of them were making up silly dance moves while we were sitting there waiting for our food. Of course, they were making fun of the music! "Is this still the same song?" "When will this song be over?" "They all sound the same!" I probably heard my parents say the same things about 25 years ago!

Then Sam and Coop began laughing hysterically because on one of the TVs the Jerry Springer show was on. This isn't something we EVER watch. These two women were physically fighting and then out of no where appeared this guy in a tiger print bikini (which really clashed with his tattoos by the way). Cooper thought this was one of the funniest things he's ever seen! I could have done without them seeing that, but it was nice to hear their giggles.

The three of us had a good time together, and I know they enjoyed the treat of going out for lunch during the week. Since we had the coupon, I splurged and let them get dessert. We usually don't do this when we eat out. I do think that Friday's could expand their dessert menu a tad bit, but it was good and a fun time just the same. Oh, and because of our visit, I earned more stripes which earned me another $8 off coupon via email! So go sign up for your Give Me More Stripes card!

4 comments:

Sue J. said...

Nice to know you have another "treat in your bag" for a time down the road.

I wish restaurants would skip the TV. The blaring soundtrack at some of these places is enough, but then to compound that with TV (usually Cartoon Network or daytime reality TV, as you said--or CNN!), really makes for a distracting lunch.

I supposed it would be different if my girls actually did make up silly dances while they waited. I'm hopeful that there's still some lemonade in the cup before the food arrives!

Glad you guys had fun!!

Kelly said...

Sounds like a fun fun day! I love going out to eat, but we've not been in a while. We have a gift card to Outback waiting to be used.

Since I'm having a "date night" with my hubs this weekend, maybe we'll use it the next week.

On Purpose said...

Oh reading your post made me realize how much I miss 'big city' life...okay not all of it...just the restaurants!!

Leslie said...

Oh Nichole you make me giggle! If you could only see the "big city" I live in! It has only been in the last year that we got a Taco Bell, Chick-Fil-A and Target. I live at least 30 minutes from any mall!