Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Applying Your Life

This morning I was listening to our local Christian radio station as I cleaned my classroom. An ad came on, so I was kind of tuning out when I heard the man on the radio say something to the effect that people are always talking about applying the Bible to their life when what they should be doing is applying their life to the Bible. I quickly stopped what I was doing (washing plastic food!) and wrote down what he had said.

The Bible is God's written directions for us. It tells us how we should live our lives. Yes, it does contain a lot of history, but that history teaches us many lessons in addition to just giving us information. Rather than trying to tailor the Bible so that it fits our lives, shouldn't we be doing it the other way around?

For instance, a man may be thinking, "I want my wife to serve me and submit to my demands, and the Bible says she should do this." Instead, he should consider and follow all of the instructions given in the Bible concerning husbands and wives. Husbands, in the same way be considerate as you live with your wives, and treat them with respect... 1 Peter 3:7 We can't just pick and choose from the Bible what is convenient and desirable to us. God wants us to follow ALL of the instructions.

Many products that we purchase come with written instructions. We need to consider the Bible as our instruction manual on how we should build our lives. Let's see, is it better to build my life on worldly things such as money and material goods (sand) or would it be better to build my life around giving to and helping others (rock)? Hhmmm, let me check the Bible!

Uh oh, I hear a rattling coming from my throat. I'd better check out my Bible for some trouble shooting solutions. Oh, I'm gossipping instead of speaking only in love. Of course! A fool's mouth is his undoing, and his lips are a snare to his soul. The words of a gossip are like choice morsels; they go down to a man's inmost parts. Proverbs 18:7, 8

What is the most efficient way to use my hands? Should I use them to mindlessly click the TV remote or to tend to our vegetable garden? Let's see...I know there is something in Proverbs about this. Lazy hands make a man poor, but diligent hands bring wealth. Proverbs 10:4 Oh, and after I water the garden and pull a few weeds, I can write a letter to my Compassion child!

The kitchen trash can needs to be emptied. My husband works from home all day. Why doesn't he see that the trash needs to be taken out and take care of it so I don't have to? After all, I work in the morning outside of the home. Wait, I think there is something in Genesis about helping him. The Lord God said, "It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him." Genesis 2:18

The only way we can serve Him and do His will is by following His instruction manual and building our lives accordingly. I think some people feel that our Creator should build our lives to suit (please) us. No. It's the other way around. We need to build our lives to suit (please) God. We have to follow His blueprints comprised of 66 books. It may be a lengthy manual, but it is well worth reading and following!

9 comments:

Sue J. said...

This is a great post, Leslie! And so right on! It's so easy for us to tailor make the Bible to our needs, just as easy as it is to program our favorite shows on the DVR or select items off the fast food menu.

The Bible definitely doesn't work that way. But, it doesn't have to be burdensome, either. If we would just see the choices through the Word, how much better we all would be?!

I am facilitating a blog Bible Study on Proverbs starting on June 1. Can't wait to get to some of those verses you posted. Hope you'll find time to join the throng!

momstheword said...

What a lovely post! So true! I was talking with someone once who believes you can pick and choose what you like in the Bible. She believes what she likes, and if she doesn't like it, she says she doesn't believe it. Yeah, as if it works that way.

Often we get so caught up in this or that person failing to do their part and we are missing the "log" in our own eye!

We can't bend and mold the Bible to fit how we want it to be. It's God's word and it molds and shapes US and makes us more like Him!

BTW, my hubby is a pastor, and when he's preaching he is focused and he can ignore "side sounds" and rustlings and stirrings and stuff like that.

momstheword said...

Forgot to mention that you just have to tell your people to remember that stuff was donated for free.

Because there are people that will just load up their cars with stuff and they don't want to give you anything for it. We had one lady say that she was going to sell it at a yard sale to make money.

They will take as much as they can fit in their cars. One lady kept telling me it was for her kids (but she told another person she was going to sell them). So it won't bring out the good in everyone.

But some people will be really happy to make a donation.

You can always tell people that it's by suggested or reasonable donation and work with them if you want.

Ultimately, when you do it that way, it's less work and you just have to trust the Lord.

But it can bring out the greed in some people, and the need in others!

Angela Nazworth said...

Excellent, excellent, excellent Leslie. Thank you!

Kelly said...

"washing plastic food." LOL! I've done that many a time!

Your words today were right on and perfect. Thanks for sharing!

Deb said...

I SO love this post!!! Well written and well said. Too often I choose something else over seeing what the Bible says....great reminder...
Blessings!
Deb

Heart2Heart said...

Leslie,

So true about the Bible being our instruction manual for how to get through this life.

The great thing is that it works for everyone, no matter their race, religion, creed, or age. It's universal truth wrapped up in centuries of text, ready to use, no adding ingredients or mixing required.

Love and Hugs ~ Kat

Attic Clutter said...

HI Leslie(:)
I read your comment over at Andreas blog.. SHE and her doggy are such a sweet pair..
I pray for you and your little guy too..
hugs, Patty

Sheryl said...

wow, what a great post!!

i learned a long time ago that if i want to do what would please God then i should do the opposite of what I WANT to do. ouch.

love the way you wrote this, thanks for sharing it.